Saturday 30 May 2009

LIAR LIAR - Famous for its coffee

90 Kinkora Road, Hawthorn ph: 9818 8864

Type Liar Liar Cafe on Google and it will come back with dozens of reviews on how good its coffee is.

So much so, that Liar Liar was voted best coffee of the year in The Age's 2009 Cheapeats Guide http://www.theageshop.com.au/details.php?id=1475.

I live close by, so I do get to go there quite a lot and have to say that I agree with the masses: their coffee is outstanding. Their short black is delivered to you straight after brewing, so it's actually still hot by the time you drink it. Their double espresso is made with twice as much coffee in a single serve of water, and not just two shots of espresso served in one cup as it happens in so many other cafes. Their latte creamy, harmonious balancing the bitterness of the coffee with the smoothness of the milk (please, order full cream here to properly enjoy this).

If you don't like coffee, their fresh juices and smoothies are also a good call.

Having said all that, however, I generally go there for the drinks ONLY. To be quite honest, I think there is nothing that special about Liar Liar's food menu and find it quite expensive for what it is.

For example, eggs are $8.50 + extras. I paid $3 for an extra of tomatoes and got 3 small slices of baked tomatoes for that. Really, it was less than one entire tomato. Don't get me wrong; the eggs were perfectly poached and the tomatoes were also good. But it wasn't an outstanding, special breakfast and I believe you can get better value elsewhere - like Pastry Kitchen across the road.

Everyone raves about the B.L.A.T. (bacon lettuce, avocado and tomato). I'm not a great fan of bacon, so haven't tried this one yet. But my husband swears by it. Can be a good option to order at the side of your amazing cup coffee... or two.

Note: Grab a takeaway cuppa at Liar Liar before heading into Glenferrie Rd shops.

No comments:

Post a Comment